30 November 2012

Fairy tales are real


I remember when I would feign leaving my room and hide behind the door to see if my toys would come alive and start walking about. I still always get that foreboding feeling that something is always moving in "the corner of my eye",  books, pictures on the wall, my creepy talking piggy-bank, you name it. If it's mundane, be suspicious.

Fact 1: People have always secretly longed for fantasy to be true.

When I was seven I sincerely believed I could fly.  After many meticulous measurements, I concluded that when I jumped out of a tree, I would land three inches farther with my Superman costume on than without it. When I finally resigned myself to the fact that it did not make me fly, I tried everything from umbrellas to cardboard wings to life-jackets (hey, they worked in the water!) After I had succeeded in nothing but breaking a good umbrella and bruising my tail-bone, I stubbornly settled for having dreams about growing dragon wings.  I would be surprised if ANYBODY didn't have a dream like this at least once.

Fact 2: Nobody can create something out of nothing.


We pride ourselves in having invented Superman. No you didn't, you just took a Man and stuck a Super in front of it. I see what you did there.  Remember, we don't come up with ideas, we find them. All these fairy tales...do you think they just appeared??

Fact 3: Every desire we have corresponds with some real object that satisfies it.

"Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for these desires exists. A baby feels hunger; well, there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim; well, there is such a thing as water." -C.S. Lewis

If people long for fairy tales to be real, the most logical conclusion is that fairy tales are real.

Okay, I know what you're thinking. The Minstrel Boy has spent far too much time in the laboratory mixing chemicals together and scribbling incantations on the walls. But I'm not saying there are such things as actual elves and pixie dust. But Superman came from Man, so Elves had to come from something like elves.  People didn't invent these mythological creatures because they thought they were cool.  We are programmed to believe the supernatural, and it may be that these ancient pagans actually understood more about the universe than we do. Just because a fantastic thing can be explained does not mean that the fantastic isn't real. I just explained the atomic structure of Edila, so science really confirms the existence of the supernatural rather than disproves it. The truth is reader, magic and science are one in the same thing.

But fairy tales are also made up of evil things. Hags, werewolves, wizards, witches...the Roman Druids, ancient priests who dabbled in demonic arts. We say a magician's show is "all done with smoke and mirrors", but G.K. Chesterton says, "when we speak of things being sham, we generally mean that they are imitations of things that are genuine.  There may be turnip ghosts precisely because there are real ghosts. There may be theatrical fairies precisely because there are real ones. There may be sham magic and real magic also."

Beware, dear reader. If it's mundane, be suspicious.
-The Minstrel Boy



2 comments:

  1. So basically fairy tales are based off something real that we want but we can't see? In that case, I think you should tag this post with Northernness :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea, good point. I always end up talking about Northernness whether I intend to or not...

      Delete