13 August 2013

Suspension

So my sister Hannah just left for Wheaton College in Illinois.  She's majoring in piano pedagogy, or piano teaching in layman's terms, which is what she's been playing since she could talk. She once told me her favorite chord on the piano was the "suspension chord", which if you're a layman like me, it's really hard to explain unless you hear it. But it sounds like it's name. You know, suspended. Unresolved. She loved that chord because that's what she felt like, just sitting on the precipice, knowing the resolution was coming but not knowing exactly how. Well, it's a weird emotion to explain. I wrote this song for her. Maybe you'll understand what I mean.





(I know the sound overdrive is atrocious, trust me, it didn't sound that bad in real life...maybe I'll record it again sometime...)


 Verse 1:

Hello Mr. I-Don’t-Know
It’s time to face your age-old foe
Oh I know I kept you waiting
But today there’s no debating

Hello Mr. Apathy
I’ve been writing a rhapsody
You took away my heat and you talked to me sleep
But today I’m waking up

Listen close now, to that infinite sound
The water-drop note before you hit the ground
A heartbeat strung in the upbeat song
Before the number sing along



(Chorus)

Cannonball out of the nowhere-zone
You’re on your own, far away from home
Cannonball into the great unknown
We’ll build our wings as we take off

You’re suspended in midair
Oh yeah, I’ll meet you there
Where the flowers are bloomin’, your friends all singin’
Na na na na na

You’re sailing in the dark
Sail brave, you’re Joan of Arc
So don’t you stop till she sinks to the rocks
Na na na na na

Verse 2:

Yeah you’ll know it when you hear it
It’s the calm before the storm hits
After the verse, before the chorus
There’s a promise waiting for us

Like Moses facing Pharaoh
Or the whistle of a thousand arrows
Like dawn’s light growing hotter
Or silence underwater

(Chorus)

Verse 3:

I can’t answer Mr. I-Don’t-Know
That doesn’t mean that I won’t go
It’s the tipping point in history
The fall of Mr. Apathy


Listen close now, to that infinite sound
The water-drop note before you hit the ground
A heartbeat strung in the upbeat song
Before the number sing along

(Chorus)


-The Minstrel Boy

2 comments:

  1. Raymond. . .

    You didn't include any suspensions. . .

    And Hannah told you wrong. It's technically not a suspension chord; it's a note suspended between two chords. :-)

    It does make a beautiful tension-resolve sound however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yeah I know...it's kind of a problem in the song right now. Been trying to find a way to put it in. And no, Hannah didn't tell me wrong, I didn't listen right. Count on it. Hannah's never wrong.

      Delete