13 April 2014

Ephemeral

My friend did an Open Interpretation on "The Little Prince" at this last speech and debate tournament. And all day I've been thinking about this part, and this particular word...

"Oh! Where I live," said the little prince, "it is not very interesting because it is so small. I have three volcanoes. Two are active and the third is extinct. I also have a flower."

"We do not record flowers," said the geographer.

"Why not? It is the prettiest thing on my planet!"

"Because flowers are ephemeral."

"What does 'ephemeral' mean?"

"It means 'that which is in danger of speedy disappearance.'"

"My flower is in danger of speedy disappearance?"

"Of course it is. A mountain rarely changes its place. It is very rare for an ocean to empty itself of its waters. We write of eternal things."

"My flower is ephemeral," the little prince said to himself, "and she has only four thorns with which to defend herself against the world! And I have left all alone on my planet!"

And the little prince went away, thinking of his flower.




Is it true that everything I care about, everyone I know and love, everything precious and beautiful, is in danger of speedy disappearance?

If so, I am an ephemeral geographer.

1 comment:

  1. AAAAAAHHHHH I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT HOW THE FLEETING NATURE OF EVERYTHING IS WHAT MAKES IT BEAUTIFUL

    ReplyDelete